rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
paul mercer

I'm afraid 'batch' is my expression! These were on sale only for a very short period and described as the Mk 2 (I think) so I would imagine there were only a few. The main difference that I could see was that the crossguard was straight, without the little curve at the end (I'm sorry if my description is not very technical). I am not too sure what the price was but I think it was about �350.00 or around that figure. They did not have a scabbard, but the leatherwork on the handle was quite worn, perhaps to give an impression of age if they were not genuine, I know almost anything can be falsified nowadays. Usually World Wide Arms describe anything that is a late repro as a pattern, i.e. a Brown Bess pattern musket, so they might have uneathed a few from the big find in India, which I believe they bought.
Has anyone else seen these advertised?
Sawubona

Paul, it sounds as though these might have been "volunteer" Elchos, which indeed had a straighter cross-guard than the regular issue pattern. The 350 pound figure seems very "short dollars" for any original Elcho,, but stranger things have been known to happen! FYI, you and I are talking about the same "big find" in India, but it's generally known as the " Nepal Cache " and therein lies a great story-- available at a theater near you on the DVD "Treasure is Where You Find It" from IMA! I don't know that there were Elcho's found in Kathmandu, but if there were then they most likely would have been of the volunteer pattern. I'm not familiar with any "Marks" for the Elcho, nor have I been able to find any reference to more than the single pattern. I'm not sure that they were suggesting with the description of "Mk 2" unless they mean with the slightly altered volunteer hilt.
Bayonets