rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Helmet
rich

I was looking at the repro helmet I have and lately it doesn't look too good after all these years even after keeping it in a glass case. I've noticed that some stains (rusty-looking) are seeping thorough and coming through the material in various areas. It doesn't look good at all. Should I try to clean it? Or maybe just foregoing cleaning and telling everybody it came direct from the Isandhlwana battlefield for a talking point ????????????.... Wink

Rich,

Tea stain it then it will look the part!

John Y.
rich

Thank you John...in the interest of historical accuracy so which tea brand did Chelmsford, Durnford, Chard, and Bromhead drink while on campaign? The one which was purveyor to Her Majesty the Queen??? Twinings? Earl Grey? Maybe Tetley? How about one with an eastern flavor..Typhoo tea? I'm sure each brand has its own "shade". If you expect me to stain by tea it must be accurate.... Smile

Rich,

I did mine with Brooke Bonds PG Tips, a result which has lasted over 30 years now!

I could find any mimosa bark in my local supermarket, so it had to do!

John Y.
rich

heh heh..very good! Perhaps I should try that! But I do have Barry's Irish Breakfast tea in the cupboard...I will do a test..... Wink

John

I was going to start a new thread entitled 'Tea Stained Helmets' but think I can justifiably tag my enquiry on to this one!

I just wondered if, when you stained your helmet, the staining seeped over the edge onto the inner rim or whether the latter stayed essentially white (presumably 'dirty white' on/after active service)?

The reason I ask is that I am currently modelling a scene in which I plan to include one or two discarded helmets; hence their inners will be showing. Granted it is only in 28mm scale but I feel it a point of detail worth getting right if I can.

I assume too that I will be on safe ground with the rest of the inner being green (I am not yet sure if there will be scope to give any indication of a leather (?) headband)?

Any comments you may have would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

H
John Young

Haydn,

I actually carried it on under the lip of the rim to cover all the white of the helmet. In addition to the tea the helmet has picked up a few beer stains adding to the colour along the way!

John Y.
Haydn Jones

John

Ha! I reckon that allows me artistic licence for both tea and beer stains then!

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. Helpful. Appreciate it.

H
Bazza

This may sound a silly question. but when staining the helmet with tea...what is used to stain it with i.e. brush, cloth etc..and "how well stewed" should the tea be Wink ...i only ask as i am looking to stain one of my helmets.....thanks for the info
Bazza
Galloglas

Ever thought of trying to apply it using left over tea bags?

Or, tape it firmly to your head and dive with determination into somebody's cess pit.

Perhaps a more cautious approach starting with the tea bags first might be the better start.

G
oldcontemtible

Bazza wrote:
This may sound a silly question. but when staining the helmet with tea...what is used to stain it with i.e. brush, cloth etc..and "how well stewed" should the tea be Wink ...I only ask as I am looking to stain one of my helmets.....thanks for the info
Bazza

I prepared some regular tea, let it sit for awhile, and while still warm, just dipped the helmet in it, and let it soak. With a spoon finished spot that were missed. I did not dip it completely under. Then left it airdrying outside.
Can't say it looks perfect, but its still very nice. One remark though, I used one of those cheap Vietnam made replicas though. Did not want to ruin my thin red line helmets.

cheers,
Guy
snider volley

I poured the tea over mine and like the results
Mikey29211

This is a way late reply but i read in several publications over the years that although tea was used where it was plentiful, Most cases the soldiers used to stain their helmets with the reddish brown mud that was found in the area.
Helmet