rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
AZW Discussion Event at National Army Museum - Any questions
sillymajor

Dear all,

The AZW evening event at the NAM is fast approaching, If anybody wishes to ask the panel a question on anything to do with the AZW please could you send your question to the following email address titled AZW.

[email protected]

The panel will hopefully have time to ask all questions but obviously time is a factor which may be against us on the evening. Please limit it to one question and if there is time on the evening additional questions may be able to be put to the panel.

So far we have sold almost 100 tickets for this event so a big thank you to anybody that has purchased tickets and for anybody undecided, tickets are continuing to sell fast so don't miss out!

As you may be aware the event starts between 1730 and 1800 but during the day there is plenty to see at the museum including the Mighty Zulu Nation, 24th Foot interpretors, African story telling, creepy crawlies and Ian Knight will be giving a free talk on the history of the British Army in South Africa.

Times for the day event are still TBC and will be on our website closer to the day or feel free to call 020 7881 6600 if you have any questions regarding the local best pubs etc!!

Once again, thank you and see you all soon. oh...we are looking to record the evening event and offer a transcription afterwards, just sorting out the technical side of things etc but fingers crossed!

Jon
rich

Jon..

The transcritption is a great idea and I would look forward to it. I gather the museum would put it out for a fee? You note that you will be "recording". Perhaps for audio, dvd or the Web? Just asking because I just have this feeling the forum will go over very very well. And ,anyway, did you call the BBC??? Those fellows just have to know about it!... Wink

Hi Rich

A colleague of mine was thinking the same regarding BBC so hopefully that can be pulled off. If not it would be a audio recording and transcribed into text form as well...if all goes to plan!

There may be a small fee should anybody wish to purchase a copy but that is undecided yet.

Cheers
Jon
Coll

Contacting the BBC is a great idea, as wasn't it them that produced the 'Timewatch' programmes, which included one covering either Isandlwana or Rorke's Drift ?

Coll
rich

Jon/Coll..

Thanks...

I just thought for the BBC to know would be great publicity and to get people talking about an era of South African history affecting us to this day.

Looking forward to the discussion.

This is a bit of a trivial question - but what is the dress-code going to be? I presume smart/casual is OK such as smart jeans, black shoes that kind of thing? It's a long time since I last went to the NAM.

I only ask because I was once turned away from The Imperial War Museum for wearing jeans.

If necessary I do scrub up quite well Wink

Looking forward to this great event.

Mark Hobson
sillymajor

Dear Mark

No dress code at all to be honest, jeans and shoes will be fine plus some kind of shirt/jumper may be wise so not to offend other audience members!

Sorry but your comment on the IWM made me chuckle. I worked there for years and can't think why they would stop somebody from entering who was wearing jeans! Was it an evening do you were attending or did you go along during the day to look around the museum?? v bizarre

Jon
Mark Hobson

Hello Jon

It was just to look around the museum during a weekday. I was puzzled too. I did query it and they told me I was inappropriately dressed!

I assumed it was the jeans...but now I think about it, it might have been the Leeds United shirt I was wearing!

Mark
Peter Ewart

Mark

Definitely the shirt!

P.
AMB

Jeans? Are you wearing denim jeans, Sir? Denim Jeans? The Devil's cloth, Sir!! Gentlemen do not wear jeans, Sir.

Or maybe that was just my C/Sgt when I was at Sandhurst....

Oh, how times have changed.

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

What about 'brarn' boots?

Well there goes my idea of having an AZW T-shirt from the NAM... Wink ..

Alan wrote:
What about 'brarn' boots?

Only acceptable if you've given your black ones away .... !

Smile
Dewi Evans

Can anyone please recommend a reasonably priced Hotel that's close to the NAM Exclamation

Thank you in anticipation,

Dewi.
Simon Rosbottom

You could try the easyhotel, usually less than �50 a night. Not too far away.