rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
1868 pattern lance
Sawubona

I'm in the process of acquiring an original point and shoe for an 1868 pattern lance with the intention of mounting them on a 9 ft 1 inch length of male bamboo. I'm having some difficulty however finding a decent diagram or photo of the grip detail. IMA has what appears to be a pretty good 17th lancer pennon available (aside from the fact that they're made of rayon for some obscure reason LOL). Has anyone got some input on this reproduction project?
Jeff Dickinson

Saw,
Some information on the 1868 Male Bamboo lance. Rather than a 9�1�� staff, the 1868 pattern should be 9� even. That�s from the tip to the butt. I just took mine down to double check that that�s correct and it is. The pattern /60 and /94 were both 9�1� and each had staves of ash rather than bamboo. As far as a grip or handle the 1868 pattern didn�t have one. There was a leather protector added in 1883 (see L.o.C 4451). This however was well below the balance point and designed to protect the lance from damage caused by the carbine butt striking it while the lance was slung. There appears to have been a leather grip at the balance point of the earlier /60 pattern but this wouldn�t be correct to the 1868/17th Lancers/Zulu War ETC�that you�re going for. If you send me your email I can send you some information and diagram of the different patterns with exact measurements Etc� as well as some pictures of my pennant. My sling is attached slightly different from the �official� method so I�ll give you pictures of mine as well as some close ups of one with the �official� method . This should help you construct yours. If you have the patience I would keep trying for an original pennant or make your own rather than the nylon one from IMA. You might want to try Canada as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police were almost identical. If you�re handy with a sowing machine I could take exact measurements from mine and make you a pattern. At any rate hope this helps. Good luck with the project.

All the Best, Jeff
Sawubona

Jeff,
Thanks so much but I have a bit of a confession to make! As a Christmas present, my wife had framed a very large lithograph she "stole" at a yard sale depicting the stand of the 17th Lancers at Modderfontain (Eland River) during the Second Boer War-- an original 1902 print of the well known R. Caton Woodville painting "All That Was Left of Them" (hence the particular interest in the "Death or Glory Boys")! Given the date of the incident therefore, my focus is a bit off topic, but I'm thinking that a lot of what might come up would apply equally to the Anglo-Zulu War.
I would have expected that the lance shaft in the image would be of ash, but it's unquestionably of bamboo. I consider Woodville to have been interested in the accuracy of uniforms and equiptment in his paintings and can only figure that the 17th were still carrying the '68 pattern in 1902.
I thought the choice of rayon for the IMA pennon to be hokey as well, but I'm thinking that I can always replace it later if I come across an original or a least a more accurate copy.
Jeff Dickinson

Saw, I sent the information and pictures to your email. Good luck with your project.
Jeff
1868 pattern lance