rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Simon Smith's AZW Prints
mike snook 2

I am now the proud owner of Simon Smith's four new prints on the AZW, which arrived in the post this morning. These have come as such a delight to me that I wanted to tell forum members about them straight away - so that those who are most interested in the AZW can make the investment before they start going like hot cakes - which I predict they will. Not only are these magnificent compositions - of really quite rare quality in the genre of military art - but they also pay a special regard to historical accuracy, while the quality of the prints themselves is exceptional. The four topics are a tremendous Rorke's Drift battle scene, (showing all our heroes to the fore), a great portrait of Colonel Durnford, a really atmospheric and dramatic defence of one of the doors in the hospital by the brave lads in red and, last but not least, a stunning portrayal of the dash by Melvill and Coghill with the Queen's Colour. I simply can't wait to get these framed and up on the walls. I can't recommend them too highly.

Regards to all

Mike
Galloglas

Only the Isandlwana last effort appears readily on websites but it is an intriguing composition.

Rather as Fripp raised the possibility of the 2nd Bn's Regimental Colour featuring in such an action this new picture at least raises the rational possibility of a last stand being based upon a nucleus of the remainder of 2nd/24th still in camp, and possibly even placed and concentrated somewhere deliberately for that express purpose as a rallying point for other defenders. A regrouping move that for the most part proved simply impossible to pull off when the time came to resort to it.

G
peterw

I had a look online. This was the only one I could find.

http://www.military-art.com/mall/more.php?ProdID=18569

Peter
Coll

Simon's paintings were displayed on ebay, unless, they have been removed since the last time I looked.

Peter

Have you tried contacting Simon by e-mail ?

Coll
peterw

Coll

I'm not in the market to buy as I have no spare wall space in my office. When I was at FDL in 2002 (my only visit - sadly) one of the guests was John Webster, a retired senior naval officer and now an accomplished artist. I purchased a small oil painting by John of Rorke's Drift which reminds me of those days.

Peter
smithart101

Mike,
I'm glad you got the prints safely, and thanks too for the unexpected review! Praise from one such as you is praise indeed.
all the best
Simon

ps, I have another one in the series you can see in the uniforms section of this forum.
Simon Smith's AZW Prints