rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Finally visiting the Battlefields
Andrew Bush

Well guys,

Looks as though I have finally made it.Set off Friday with my Father who is 79 today from Sydney with the following itinery. Equiped with crossing the Buffalo River and Hill of the Sphinx. Can you guys give me any specific things to look out for and video apart from the obvious. Stopping at Rorke's Drift lodge

Regards,

Andrew

Day one: Arrive Johannesburg, transfer to Durban

Day two: Travel up the North Coast to Tugela, Fort Pearson and the Ultimatum tree. From there inland via Kranzkop (picnic lunch) and Greytown following the footsteps of Lord Chelmsford to Rorke's Drift (Helpmekaar). Arrive at Rorke's Drift Lodge 26 Sept. Full Day

Day three: Start at Helpmekaar and follow Chelmsford's tracks into Zululand along the road to Ulundi towards the Mangeni falls area.(fullday) 27 Sept
Day four: Battle of Isandlwana (Morning) Fugitive's Trail (including Coghill and Melvill graves) 28 Sept Half Day

Day five: Defence of Rorke's Drift (afternoon) 29 Sept Half day

Day six: Visit Talana Museum and Prince Imperial site (full day)30 Sept

Day seven: Travel to Kambala and Hlobane battlefields (full day)1 Oct

Day eight: Depart Rorke's Drift Lodge for Durban via Ulundi and Eshowe.Eta Durban late afternoon.2 Oct Picnic lunch

My best advice is to visit Isandlwana last because once you have been there you just want to keep going back. Pop into Isandlwana Lodge if you get time for a quick drink or something to eat. If you're lucky Dalton the barman may be working. His direct ancestor is Mehlokazulu and Dalton is a very interesting person to talk to about Zulu culture.

If you are walking up Hlobane and across to Devil's Pass take plenty of fluids with you and some chocolate. It's an immense walk but ultimately worthwhile.

Kambula is very peaceful since some of the nearby homesteads have been decimated by AIDS. You'll get some young children trying to sell you relics so be warned. You will also have an audience at the Prince Imperial's grave but everyone is so nice and friendly.

Try, if you can, to get to Ntombi and Luneberg aswell. If going to the latter the locals are always welcoming.

Lastly don't think this is a once in a lifetime experience because once you get there the only thing on your mind will be your next visit. You'll love it.

Michael
Finally visiting the Battlefields