rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu War Panel Discussion
sillymajor

Hi

This is quite a long way off, to be precise in April 2010 but the National Army Museum isplanning to host an evening forum hosted by Ian Knight.

We are still working on the rest of the line up but in total there should be 4 or 5 experts who will discuss he complexities of the battles and debate the difficult decisions made by the British command during the time. Followed by an open form for anybody to pitch any questions they may have.

Just giving everybody a very early heads up really though there is a lot more detail to be added. I will keep everybody posted over the next few months.

http://shop.national-army-museum.ac.uk/Products/Tickets/Zulu-War-Panel-Discussion

Jon
peterw

Sounds fascinating. I look forward to news of the other speakers.

Peter
AMB

Interesting. A sort of AZW 'Any Questions'!

(For those not in the UK, Any Questions is a BBC radio debating programme; panel drawn from personalities across UK politics and popular culture)

AMB
Coll

Was this idea not put forward previously in one of the other topics ?

As in, an AZW Question Time ?

The setback, if I'm correct, was getting enough experts in this field, together in the one venue at the same time, when the possibility existed of other commitments, preventing them appearing ?

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

I think the one you're referring to was Julian's idea of an AZW residential weekend, with members of this forum being included among the speakers as well as the audience. A very good idea in my opinion, albeit with practical challenges to overcome. This one, hosted by an institution, appears to be putting on some speakers in the usual way and inviting an audience for a few hours only.

Peter
Coll

Peter

Yes. I've actually got mixed up with 3 previous ideas - Julian's, plus the other in the 'Where to from here ?' topic, but also Peter Q. & Ron L.'s C.O.I. suggestion.

Coll
Panel of Experts!
TonyJones

Hi Silly Major,

It will be interesting to see who joins Ian Knight on the expert's panel. I can't resist the temptation to play 'Devil's Advocate' here, but will you be inviting Saul David to join the forum, as I am sure there are a number of questions Joe 'Zulu' public has been aching to ask him for the last few years (seriously!). Should be a good night though.

Tony.
Coll

I reckon it'd be great to have Mike Snook on the panel.

Also Peter Q., Ron L., Keith Smith, but they're based too far away.

John Young, Julian Whybra, Adrian Greaves.

Coll
Julian whybra

To be honest, in my opinion, there is one name you've left off your list whose knowledge exceeds all the others named and that is David Jackson. He is an old man now but his knowledge and memory is without parallel. I'm sure he would be willing to take part if invited.
Mark Hobson

All very good suggestions in my opinion. Perhaps another name to add to the pot - Ian Castle, who has done a lot of research over the years regarding the irregular volunteers and Colonial units that fought in 1879.

The only worry is, could you get them all to sit in the same room together?
Alan
Site Admin

I think that if they could sit together, a better discussion would be had.

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions, it really is appreciated.

We will liase with Ian Knight regarding the names you have mentioned and see what we can do about getting these together in one room for a few hours. Thankfully we have plenty of time to organise this so we are pretty positive whoever the panel is it will be a very engaging and interesting discussion.

I did forget to say that during the day (10th April 2010) at the National Army Museum we have an event called Into Africa, once again content is to be finalised but we are hoping that the dance troop Mighty Zulu Nation will be available as well as other interpreters and activities cocvering the British Army in Africa through history, not just the Zulu War.

The Zulu War discussion will then follow directly after the event in our Art Gallery.

Thanks agin and please feel free to throw more suggestions our way!
sillymajor

Tony

Saul David has crept up in initial discussions...
peterw

Jon

I can appreciate the challenge you face in that presumably - at the very least - the event must break even or preferably make a profit. So in order to keep ticket prices at a sensible level there will not be big bucks for speaker expenses.

Potentially, it's a very exciting concept if you can secure a good panel and I intend to be present.

Peter

Last edited by peterw on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Bryant-Quinn

+ 1.