rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Boy Green
Dawn

Does anybody out there know anything about the boy Green who was servant to Surgeon Shepherd? Julian once posted a reply in the old forum to say that the boy was the son of the waiter at his club but that he had been unable to find out anything more. So if anyone knows anything more than that, could they let me know.
Dawn
Edward Bear

It might be easier to answer if we knew which Club Julian belonged to.

Edward Bear
Dawn

Sorry, problem with the syntax. It was Surgeon Shepherd's club not Julian's. Thanks for pointing it out, Edward.
Dawn
Julian whybra

Dawn,
Despite more research in this area I have drawn a blank on boy Green's identity - all I know is that he was not army but a civilian. I would dearly like to know more about him myself.
Dawn

Thanks, Julian, it looks like one of those things we will never know. With no army records, I guess someone like that would be hard to trace.
Dawn
Julian whybra

Dawn
I have tried to pursue this through the records of London clubs and through certain magazines which centred on news from these clubs.
The former is completed without any success and I'm engaged in the latter with no success to date. I'll certainly tell everyone when I know.
Dawn

In the meantime, I've written him into my book with an invented first name and background, taking into account what you already know, Julian, so if you find out more, of course, I'd be keen to hear so I can write it up correctly.
Dawn
Sean Sweeney

Julian/Dawn

Found on the big large web.
Might point to the Artillery Club,
or a Scottish or Presbyterian Drinking Hole around Woolwich, if not in the City itself.

In 1878 two Aberdeenshire military officers, Surgeon-Major Peter Shepherd of the Royal Herbert Military Hospital, Woolwich, London, and Colonel Francis Duncan established the concept of teaching first aid skills to civilians.

Woolwich was the centre of a vigorous and thriving military community. It had a large army training area, and the artillery, which obtained its equipment from the armouries and munitions factories nearby, had its regimental epicentre there. The entire military community was served medically by the Royal Army Medical Establishment at Woolwich Garrison and by the massive Royal Herbert Military Hospital, also in Woolwich, which was opened in 1866. Many military surgeons were based there, and patients were admitted from the many units which comprised the Woolwich military community.
Shepherd was posted to Woolwich as Surgeon-Major in 1872 and served there for five years.

Colonel Francis Duncan (1836-8Cool, a career artillery officer from Aberdeen was posted to Woolwich Arsenal, London, in 1875. A devout Presbyterian, a keen historian, and a gunnery officer in the highest traditions of the Royal Regiment of Artillery.
His young colleague, Surgeon-Major Peter Shepherd (1841-79), also from Aberdeenshire, had also been posted to the garrison and was based at the Royal Herbert Military Hospital at Woolwich.

Both Duncan and Shepherd were active members of the Scottish Church in Woolwich.

Sean
Boy Green