rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lord Raglan's Telescope - A One-Off Or Common Model ?
Coll

I've been looking for an alternative type of telescope, appearance-wise, and found a picture of one apparently used by Lord Raglan during the Crimean War.

It appears to be a standard scope attached to a skeletal rifle-stock.

I know this is from much earlier than the Zulu War, but I wondered if this was a one-off made specifically for him, privately purchased, or was its use more widespread amongst officers then ?

It is in the National Army Museum.

Thanks

Coll
John Young

Coll,

Custom-made I'd venture due to him only having one arm.

John
Coll

John

Trust me to find another historical figure with only one good arm !

It really is quite a novel piece of equipment, which interestingly is similar to the fitting on modern zoom-lens cameras.

It appears Raglan's telescope could be used very well by others, as the butt of the stock would hold it more steady.

I very much appreciate all your help with these questions.

I've been trying to find other more unusual weapons, equipment, clothing, etc., to introduce into an Isandlwana scenario, that wouldn't look too out of place, by being jarring to the eyes.

Recently, I saw an excellent 19th Century pocket watch-style compass, which someone could possess - direction (I think) more than time, being of vital importance in the open country.

Thanks again

Coll
Coll

John

I found a very clear colour image of Victorian bronze binoculars, mounted on a tripod, which, I think, can be removed.

The caption states that they were used by the army and navy.

I'll be checking my own books for any photographs of them in use during the Zulu War, but wish to ask if this set would have been a fairly common sight around that time, in the hands of British officers ?

Thanks in advance.

Coll
Sawubona

Not very much help from me on your question, Coll, other then the fact that it seems binoculars (as opposed to telescopes) were only just beginning to find favor with the British military by the time of the AZW. That fact is pointed up in the movie ZULU by Ivor Emmanuel's wonder when Baker hands him his binoculars with the line "Here, take a look at that. Tell me what you see". Emmanuel is more fascinated by the binoculars themselves then by what he's supposed to be looking at! "Very wonderful things these", he says with awe, looking at the binoculars in his hands rather than at the two riders on the hillside. Just one more overlooked nuance in a movie full of such subtle references.
Coll

Sawubona

I'm thinking that men in the ranks didn't usually have access to such items, only officers, perhaps even privately purchased.

I remember the scene, as well as a real incident at Isandlwana, if I'm correct, where Chard was given the use of binoculars by someone, to view more closely, the Zulus when they were sighted on the ridge.

So, judging by this, not all officers may have had access to them either.

Coll
Coll

An enquiry about Lord Raglan's telescope -

I've seen the very small image of it at the NAM, but can't find a larger clearer image anywhere as yet.

Even an image of Raglan using it.

Anyone know of any ?

Thankyou.

Coll
Lord Raglan's Telescope - A One-Off Or Common Model ?