rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Please Assist With Illustrations Sources
Coll

I've been searching for 2 images in my books, but have been unable to trace them, meaning they must have been from titles I no longer possess.

Can anyone tell me where I saw the following ? -

Lt. Vereker on horseback at Isandlwana, with an NNH trooper standing on the ground, which I think represented Vereker's giving the horse to this man as mentioned in books.

Also -

A fugitive, NNC/NNH or civilian with wide-brimmed hat, on the trail using his carbine as a club opposed by a Zulu blocking his path, with either another Zulu or NNC lying on the ground.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Coll
GlennWade

Hi Coll,

I am pretty sure these images are to be found in the Osprey Campaign series publication, 'Isandlwana', by Ian K. If memory serves, Vereker is depicted in full dress as the native trooper reproaches him for taking his mount.

Hope that's of some help.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn

Yes, that may be the one, as I no longer have a copy.

I've marked it down.

Thanks.

Coll
John Young

Coll,

There is another Vereker image this one comes from The Boy's Own Paper of 1879.

John Y.
Coll

John

Excellent.

A really good drawing of the incident.

Thanks for posting the illustration.

Coll
Coll

John

Do you happen to know if an illustration exists of the incident where Surgeon-Major Shepherd tries to assist an injured Natal Carbineer ?

I've also been trying to trace a picture of a man on horseback saluting Col. Pulleine lying dead on the ground after Isandlwana.

I'd appreciate any sources where I can find other less well-known illustrations of the battle at Isandlwana, of the same detail, which would help me clearly visualise specific scenes, as well as other events ?

I know several must exist, but I'm not sure where to look.

Thankyou.

Coll
John Young

Coll,

Can't say I know of any image with Peter Shepherd & George MacLeroy, and I think I would should one exist as I know the great-great nephews of both men, and neither of them has ever mentioned it.

George Hamilton Browne saluting Henry Pulleine's body from A Lost Legionary in South Africa.

I've got a number of less well-known illustrations of the events at Isandlwana, I'll try and do some more before I head off to SA.

John Y.
John Young

Coll,

This one from the February 1910 issue The Scholars' Own, from an article entitled Defeat without Dishonour. The Story of Isandula.

Here's a taster for you:
...Durnford, too, met his end nobly. He and a few gallant Tommies of the 24th stood against a kopje, or rock knoll, and, cool as cucumbers, fired volley after volley into the dense masses of the enemy. Then, when their ammunition was done, came death and immortality. ...

John Y.
John Young

From The Schroder Art Memento, 1894, detailing the work of William Howard Schroder.

John Y.
John Young

From Our Soldiers by W. H. G. Kingston, published 1910.

John Y.
Coll

John

Thanks very much for your time and help.

The illustration showing Hamilton-Browne saluting Pulleine really stayed in my mind from the first time I saw it a few years back, but I'm not sure where this was, as I've never had the book 'A Lost Legionary In South Africa.'

It's such a wonderful image, I don't know why it isn't more well-known, and in more AZW titles.

Was it based on a true incident ?

The illustration titled 'Isandula : The National Sorrow', I've definitely never seen.

Thanks again.

Coll

PS. Good to see you back !
Harold Raugh

Hi John,

Could you please provide more bibliographical information (author, vol/no, pages) of the article you noted above: "This one from the February 1910 issue The Scholars' Own, from an article entitled Defeat without Dishonour. The Story of Isandula."

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Harold
John Young

Hi Harold,

The Scholars' Own - A Penny Monthly Magazine for Boys & Girls Volume IV. No 42, February, 1910, pages 124-125, author anon. Published by George Newnes Ltd., 5-12, Southampton Street, London, W.C. - these were obviously the publishers for The Strand as well.

John Y.
Harold Raugh

Hi John,

Thanks once again for your prompt and most helpful response.

Cheers,
Harold
Peter Ewart

Coll

If you have (or have seen) a copy of Ian Kight's By the Orders of the Great White Queen, this may be where you have remembered the illustration from Lost Legionary, as Ian reproduced it in that publication.

Peter
Please Assist With Illustrations Sources