rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu DVD Easter Egg
Wobblefilms

Not sure if this has been covered before in the forum but the R2 edition of Zulu has an extra "hidden" special feature not listed.

For those who haven't come across these before the hidden features are known as "Easter Eggs" and there are various web sites that list the known DVD`s that contain them (although I haven`t yet found a site that contains this one)

The hidden feature is a trailer from the re-release of Zulu and is shorter than the first trailer but contains some quotes from various newspapers which are interesting (especially the quote from the London Evening news)

To access this feature - From the main menu go to the special features section and select the theatrical tailer and press enter, once this trailer has played you will automatically go back to the special features menu page, press up until the special features title is highlighted and then press enter

It works on my R2 DVD but not sure if the same happens on other regions

Wobblefilms
Rich

Wobblefilms...Well I tried on all my 3 dvd copies (US Region) that I have for Zulu (2) and Zulu Dawn (1). There are theatrical trailers as well on the disc but they don't seem to go anywhere after they've finished. This rabbit didn't get lucky to find the egg!
Sheldon Hall

Rich,

You mean you don't have the R2 Paramount SE with making-of documentaries and audio commentary? Tsk tsk! The same edition is available in Regions 3 and 4, but not Region 1, where Paramount don't have the video rights. The second trailer is from the 1972 UK reissue.
Rich

See Sheldon? We live "beyond the pale" and the colonials don't rate!
Really it's to the point that I think I will have to go out go out and buy an all-region dvd player when I update my system for HDTV here....(but who knows what's going to happen with the turmoil in the new dvd formats, you know all about it and I want to make sure I don't buy a pig in a poke!)) You guys get all the good stuff! And also, I miss "The Lighthorsemen" on dvd, one of my favorite films.
Sheldon Hall

Rich,

Don't blame Paramount for not releasing the SE in Region 1 - their not having the US rights goes all the way back to 1963, when the production deal with Embassy gave the US & Canadian distribution rights to that company, with Paramount handling the rest of the world. Embassy's back catalogue has passed through many hands, but not Paramount's. So it all dates from well before the arrival of DVD!

Anyway, what a nerve saying that we get "all the good stuff" and you "colonials" are downgraded! In fact, many DVD companies choose to fill their Region 1 discs with extras but release the same films over here in bare-bones editions, often without even a trailer. MGM/UA (the ZULU rights holder in the US) is a prime example, though BATTLE OF BRITAIN was a rare exception - we got an SE over here and you got a "vanilla" version, but usually it's the other way around.

20th Century Fox is another offender - its Studio Classics series has a bunch of commentaries and other extras in the US, but b****r all bar the films over here. Plus there are many more films (esp. older and more obscure titles) available in the US compared to the UK, which is why most of "us" have multi-region players to take advantage of the wider choice you have over there... so join the club!
Rich

Mr. Green

hah hah We must arise! We must unite! Boy I was a dope with the things I know now. I should've schemed to find a way to get the rights back in '64! Wink

PS Battle of Britain is out in a new SE here...should I get it? I have the original.
Sheldon Hall

BoB is presumably the same SE released over here - and yes, it's very good, so go get it!
Zulu DVD Easter Egg