rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rob D

Michael,
Thanks again - a lot of stuff to digest there - and "flinch" was one factor I hadn't considered (though I did wonder if the soldier had taken the time to reset his sights down - and that had been lost in the telling).
On your last point about the 90 rounds per year, I was surprised when I first heard of that figure (in "Hill of the Sphinx").
From my own experience I'd have thought that wouldn't have been enough to turn a raw recruit into a good marksman - when I was involved in target shooting that would have been barely enough for one afternoon (and I wouldn't describe myself as a good shot!)
Perhaps, though, it would have been adequate for controlled volley firing at large formations of troops in close order moving slowly on a traditional European battlefield...
Cheers,
Rob
Neil Aspinshaw

Michael
I had no idea the M-H had been trialled to such extent in the US.

For what it is worth I used to own a Springfield trapdoor Carbine in 45/70. In effect a .450 calibre piece with may similar traits to the Martini. That gun took 70 grains of black powder, and I thought the recoil wicked!, far worse than the Martini.

One thing that is not mentioned in the trials is the fact the soldier would be wearing his tunic and greyback, or, even his braces. The cushion effect of this is quite considerable. I'll do 50 rounds in a T shirt in about an hour and a half. OK your shoulder is numb, but not black and blue!.

The Original cartridge for the 1873 and later Springfield rifles was the .45-70-500 that is a nominal .45 cal bullet with 70 grains of black powder and a 500 grain bullet. The carbine cartridge was the .45-55-405 , the same case with a 55 grain powder charge and a 405 grain bullet. The joke at cavalry marksmsnship practices was to drop a rifle round amongst the carbine rounds for some poor recruit to fire it through his carbine.

Later I believe that the rifle round was standardised at .45-70-405.

GJ
CARBINE AMMUNITION