rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
rank chevrons
oldcontemtible

I'm a bit at a loss.
I see re-enactors with white rank chevrons on their sleeves, but I see models, drawings in books or sutler sell gold bullion rank chevrons.
I first thought it had something to do with home service dress or field dress, but this is not so judging from all drawings and photographs.
My limited library on Zulu war books does not enlighted me. I guess I'll have to ask santa to bring me a few Wink

Guy
Martin Everett

Guy,

Re-enactors quite often do not get is right. Firstly there are two versions: line regiment chevrons and foot guards chevrons. Re-enactors often mistakingly wear foot guards chevrons because they are larger and generally more easily available these days.

Bascially:

LSgt and below 'white' (known as worsted lace)

Full Sgt and above 'gold' (known as gold lace)

This rule applies to line regiments and foot guards

oldcontemtible

Thank you Martin.

Guy
oldcontemtible

Martin Everett wrote:
Guy,

Re-enactors quite often do not get is right. Firstly there are two versions: line regiment chevrons and foot guards chevrons. Re-enactors often mistakingly wear foot guards chevrons because they are larger and generally more easily available these days.

Bascially:

LSgt and below 'white' (known as worsted lace)

Full Sgt and above 'gold' (known as gold lace)

sorry to come back on this.
How would the rank of full sgt fit in the regiment/company ?
could it be compared with a 1st sgt in the US army of those days.

Is there a good book on the organisation of the British army of those days, like the more technical sides of how a regiment of foot works ?
Thanks,

guy
Martin Everett

Guy,

In 1879 the senior non-commissioned rank in a company (about 80-90 men) was Colour Sergeant (in modern army = Company Sergeant Major). He would be supported by 3 or 4 full sergeants (often known as gold sergeants for obvious reasons).

oldcontemtible

Thank you very much for clearing this out Martin.

Guy
Good Conduct Stripes
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
Can i ask if there was ever a time when a FULL ( Gold Stripes ) Sgt ever wore three Gold chevrons AND Good Conduct Stripes ? , i know you could of had a Cpl ( 2 ) rank chevrons with a Maximum of 6 GOOD CONDUCT STRIPES , his arm would have been so heavy he could not move it ! . I know C / Sgt GW Mabin was awarded the maximum ( 6 ) but because of his rank he got the pay whilst not wearing the stripes , i have seen a Private ( picture ) with FIVE Good Conduct Stripes but i believe ( ? ) there is a picture out there of a man supporting SIX ! , any substance to this please ? . Some of the Rorke's Drift men supported 3 , 4 & 5 such stripes at one time but is there such a picture showing the MAXIMUM ??? . I suppose you could of had a LANCE SGT with 3, 4 GCStripes but as soon as he became a Sgt , off came the G C Stripes which brings me back nicely to the opening question , " Was there ever a time when a FULL Sgt wore rank chevrons AND G C Stripes ? " , Thank You , Sapper . Cool
rank chevrons