rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Muzzle Sight protectors Martini Henry
Barry Iacoppi N.Z

Gentleman. I recently acquired a third muzzle-sight protector for the Martini Henry rifle. I have a MKII a MKIII and a not sure what. My question is. When would a soldier have been expected to use such a device and were they general issue kit? Would they be used on the march? In the rack? Or when the weather dictated. I know the MKIII was considered an aid to cleaning with a hole in the end cap but otherwise did they serve a useful function?
Adrian Whiting

Barry, The muzzle and foresight protectors were issues with each rifle. They were intended for use when the rifle was stored, rather than on the march for example. Storage would have included the rifles standing around a tent centre pole and held in place by the buff leather rifle loop device that was issued for that purpose, so not just when the rifle was in an armoury of some sort.

It would be possible to use the protector on the march, and may even seem a good idea if it would prevent rainwater running into the muzzle, but the MHR was generally carried muzzle downwards when slung in the rain for just that purpose.

As a point of interest it is the MkII MHR protector that has a hole bored through to enable it to act as a rod guide, avoiding damage to the crown of the muzzle. The MkI was a plainer item and the MkIII had a lip around the top of the protector to aid in taking it off.

Barry Iacoppi N.Z

Thanks for your help Adrian. You are of course right about the hole being in the MKII. I got carried away with the IIIIIIIs.
If I may I’ll send you a picture of my mystery protector that I can’t find in Skennertons. You may be able to help I.D. it.
Muzzle Sight protectors Martini Henry