rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Quality 54mm Painted Figures For Creating Chess Set ?
Coll

Lt.

I'm a keen (but bad) player of chess, but I like the idea of a Zulu War 1879 (Isandlwana and/or Rorke's Drift) theme chess set.

The chessboard itself can be bought, or built, but the figures would make it exactly as it would say on the box.

I'm amazed by the variety of figures in your images and wondered if you could suggest what figures could make up a chess set for both sides, British and Zulu.

I've some ideas myself -

Example - British King piece : 24th soldier with flag.
Queen (as in soldier of the) piece : Durnford/Chard/Bromhead.
Bishop - 24th Officer.
Knight - 2 x Carbineer (dismounted)
Pawn - 8 x 24th soldier at ready.
etc.

Zulu King piece : Senior induna.
Pawn - 8 x warrior with shield and raised assegai.
etc.

These figures would have to be supplied from the manufacturer ready made and painted.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have on what you might call an unusual project.

Thanks in advance.

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Tue May 19, 2009 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lt.

Coll

Frontline figures is one source you may want to check out at present it has the largest selection of figures to chose from at www.frontline-figures.com WBritain is also providing matte finsih figures and currently has a small choice to draw from but will be providing a number of new figures to chose from in 2009. www.wbritain.com and Conte has just listed the begining of a number of figures and sets soon to be available with others to follow. www.conteco.com

It may take some time to accomplish your goal but currently these are sources to consider and draw from.

Regards........The Lt.

Last edited by The Lt. on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

Lt.

Outstanding ! Very Happy

I see there are many quality figures, including the previously seen Durnford, as well as (the new?) Stanley Baker as Chard, Michael Caine as Bromhead.

What also interested me is the Adventurer figures (which includes 1 female), the male figure being shown firing a pistol, and another of him firing a shotgun or carbine from the waist. The female firing a reveolver.

The latter intrigue me, as they could be based on the characters I intend to add into a story I'm considering.

There doesn't appear to be much information about these latter figures on the site, or have I missed some kind of link to them on it ?

Thankyou Wink

Coll
The Lt.

Coll

At this time Richard Conte hasn't given any schedule date for the Adventure Series and hopefully the Zulu War figures will be available before the end of the year.

Regards The Lt.

Last edited by The Lt. on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

Lt.

Thanks for your reply.

Out of curiosity, I had a look around the net to see if I could find another company who may have ready-painted 54mm Adventurer-type figures, but no luck.

May I ask if you have seen any others ?

Coll
The Lt.

Coll

Go to John O'brien's Toy Soldiers on Line Galley at www.upnaway.com/~obees/soldiers clicking on to Links under RESOURCES which will give you a number of sources available to you to help you seek what you're looking for.......The Lt.
Quality 54mm Painted Figures For Creating Chess Set ?