rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Edged weapons in the UK
Sawubona

Sorry, this one might be thought even more out line for this forum and is simply an observation about a trend impacting the collecting of Victorian militaria. I recently tried to bid on an assegai on Ebays United Kingdom auction site and discovered (to my horror) that pursuant to newly implemented Ebay rules, a bidder on edged weapons must prove that he's over 18 years old by giving credit his card information (it wasn't a scam or phishing, honest)! What's up with THAT? A fifteen year old can buy a kitchen butcher knife at WalMart down the street without a second glance and Ebay wants that kind of personal information for liability reasons? Crazy world and getting crazier?
Adrian Whiting

Sawubona,

UK law requires that you must be 18 or over to purchase bladed items. This applies to kitchen knives in our Walmarts too!

Sawubona

We might very well have a similar age restriction on the purchase of edged weapons in my State , but if we do, it's rarely enforced. In spite of the outcome of our Civil War, State laws still take priority in an awful lot of areas: firearm and other weapon ownership and acquisition for example. I guess what surprised me was the credit card number request as I had never encountered that before and I've used Paypal for many years (which requires my card to be on record, of course). It's just my opinion, but it seems that a teenager (or younger child) who's intent on buying an edged weapon without his parents knowing or permitting is not above swiping a credit card number from them when they're not looking. How would they ever find out since there isn't any debit on the account?
Edged weapons in the UK