rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Uniform Colour of The Natal Mounted Police
The Lt.

Please correct me if I'm wrong which I hope you will. In Ian Knight Osprey's MEN AT ARMS SERIES The Zulu War the text by Angus Mcbride states that the corduroy tunic was dyed "black" , although the actual colour achieved was more often a dark brown. Were the trousers also brown as well as the tunic.

Now in Ian Knights Osprey's Brithish Forces in Zululand with the text by Ian Knight on the Colour Plates he also stated that the uniform faded to brown. There's been a discussion on this and I've gone allong with Ian and Angus.....The Lt.
The Lt.

Not having any comments being made can I safely state that the tunic of the Natal Mounted Police did achieve the colour of a dark brown?.....The Lt

Last edited by The Lt. on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Young

Lt.,

The uniform was officially black, however based on contemporary sources the South Africa military artist Andy May normally renders it as dark grey. This line is followed by Ian Castle in his book Zulu War - Volunteers, Irregulars & Auxiliaries.

Near contemporary images of the N.M.P. don't shown them quite as modern artists have imagined, depicting them in wideawake hats rather than helmets. I'll try and dig them out and post them.

John Y.
The Lt.

John thank you for your comments. I've a copy of the Ian Castle Zulu War- Volunteers, Irregulars & Auxiliaries. Knowing both he and Ian Knight have written on the subject it seems that they differ in the colour changes. In both of the above mention Osprey book by IK the N.M.P. are featured wear helmets and appear wearing them in a number of photos which they've been featured in.............The Lt.
THE MOUNTED POLICE OF NATAL
Robin

Extracted from "THE MOUNTED POLICE OF NATAL" BY HP HOLT London 1913 PREFACE BY MAJ GEN JG DARTNELL
Surely this must be the definitive work
Page 354 UNIFORMS
" The black tunic and pants which were in use for many years in the early days......."
"For riding school and fatigue use, a 2nd pair of grey-coloured cord pants was issued...."
"To-day all the uniforms are of a drab khaki"

Will be happy to quote more extensively if required
Robin
The Lt.

Thank you Robin for your comments. I'm not questioning the fact that the uniforms when isssued were dyed black what I'm trying to clear up is did the uniform as stated by Ian Knight and Angus McBride after being worn and launder fade to a dark brown and not grey as state by Ian Castle. Once again thank you for your input.........The Lt.
Uniform Colour of The Natal Mounted Police