rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Is this true, as unlikely as it seems!
flawedhero

Got talking to a visiting colleague at work today and was surprised to find that her favourite film was Zulu, not only that but she then went on to tell me about her daughter who is in the navy. She said that at a reception at Naval college there was a rumour that the Commodore had been in Zulu.
According to her her daughter plucked up courage to ask if this was true and apparently he confirmed it complete with recitation of his line(s)!

Surely this is an urban or naval myth, anyone ever hear of this before?
Sheldon Hall

It would help if you could find out the Commodore's name!
flawedhero

Sheldon,
Ill have another word with the colleague next time she visits, just thought it was very unusual if true and might stick in the mind!
flawedhero

Apparently hes Commodore Jamie Miller, now Royal Navy Commander of Wales and Midlands regions cant find any connection via the net, although his naval career is well documented earliest mention of him i can find is serving on HMS Cavalier in 1972 given timescale etc for school university and Dartmouh naval college i'd assume he might have been a little young to have appeared in Zulu. He survived the sinking of HMS Coventry during the Falklands War.
Martin Everett

How about HMS Zulu????

Three ships of the British Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Zulu, after the African Zulu people:

HMS Zulu launched in 1909, a 1905 Tribal (or F-class) destroyer that served in World War I.
HMS Zulu (F18), launched in 1937, a 1936 Tribal-class destroyer that served in World War II.
HMS Zulu (F124), launched in 1962, a Tribal class frigate.

Is this true, as unlikely as it seems!