rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Martini Henrys and Sniders
Sawubona

For those who haven't fired a Martini or a Snider personally, there's a fun video on youtube called "Martini-Henry and Snider Playday" that's the next best thing to "being there". It gives some sense of the vicious recoil of the MH and the reaction of even experienced shooters to it. Enjoy.
Sawubona

I'd like to add that I don't agree with the use of vintage ammunition even under these circumstances-- i.e. in the interest of authenticity in a video. Sorry to be a bit of a prima dona.
Neil Aspinshaw

Sawumbona

I have two unfired.. full paper packets of ten Martini ammo, and, if you think its unethical to shoot it... when you have as many Martini's as me, the look you get when you turn up at the range in a straight jacket to stop yourself firing it... thats unethical!.

There is another way, to get that Zululand feel, 85 grains of Curtis & Harvey No6, which believe you me is more expensive than a class A drug per pound!, an onionskin wrapped bullet and a bullet mould exact to the original, a wink to the camera and away you go!

I can tell you the smoke and the smell is totally different to normal black powder... sort of nutty...if you like that sort of thing.... "aaaah, I love the smell of blackpowder in the morning!"