rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
RPGs Rulebooks, Weapons Books And Character Sheets ?
Coll

During an idle moment, whilst searching the net for details of new and old firearm books, I found one titled 'd20 Weapons Locker'.

Unknowingly, I discovered it is part of a series of books used for role-playing various types of situations, termed 'the d20 system'(?) which I found to be bizarre, but interesting enough to read about.

There are 2 firearm books I know of, plus a rulebook for d20 Modern RPGs, as well as many others. You'd have to read about them, rather than me trying to explain their contents.

Apparently, RPGs have been around for a very long time, covering everything from history, to modern, to future.

Does anyone know of this type of gaming, and how popular it is ?

I ask out of curiosity, as it wasn't what I was looking for initially.

Thankyou

Coll
Coll

I don't see any Zulu War 1879 scenarios, LBH or the Alamo.

In saying that, not knowing much about RPGs, I can't tell if it is good or bad news.

With games based on these conflicts, few and far between, maybe, there is more of a chance creating one in this fashion.

At least you'd feel involved.

Just a thought.

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Coll, as usual, I'll show my ignorance.
RPG?
Rocket-propelled grenade, a type of hand-held antitank weapon
RPG programming language, a native programming language for IBM's System i servers
RPG Life Sciences, an Indian pharmaceutical company
Role-playing game, a game.

I've been thinking for a while that it would be helpful to have a glossary of abbreviations. I'm forever being left in the dark. Few more recent examples:
D.A.G
D.A.Q-G
D.M.R.
K.C.M.G

Alan

RPG(s) - in this case being role playing game(s)

It is really quite interesting. Takes me back to the Isandlwana C.O.I. topic, when Peter Quantrill mentioned people in the roles of Durnford, Pulleine, etc.

Although the RPGs, or at least some of them, are beyond what you call realistic, there is a chance of creating scenarios, whether decision-making on the battlefield, troop deployments, or perhaps all players are in charge of units and left to their own devises, when given selected scenarios, which are not necessarily of historical events, but tests to see how they'd react to different situations, and discovering the outcome of their actions.

The possibilities are many.

However, finding a way to create them is a different matter altogether.

Coll
Coll

Strangely, there is one book called -

Space 1889 : Science Fiction Role Playing.....

About Victorian colonisation of other planets ! Shocked

Where do they get their ideas ?

Coll
RPGs Rulebooks, Weapons Books And Character Sheets ?