rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
i want a Martini Henry
private barley

hey all. I'm in the 80th reg staffs vollunteers and I'd love to have my own mk2 Martini Henry. so i was wondering cos i looked at michaeldlongs and then i looked at a couple a sites and i were wondering wot is the cheapest you can get a real Martini for and where.

thanks for your time.

mike

Location: Staying Umhlanga for 2 to 5 years in route to Cut Bank, Montana
I understand that these company will ship to UK and they are still cheaper than what you will find in UK with shipping. Do your research before you accept that as gospel.

IMA - http://www.ima-usa.com

Atlanta Cutlery - http://www.atlantacutlery.com/webstore/homepage.asp

The other place to look is http://www.martinihenry.com/links.htm

Mike
see me at the 80th Camp or Pete Webb
Neil

. Hello -

I'm new to the list and am now just starting to go through the posts. This topic caught my eye and sparked a question I have wanted to ask for a long time.

Why are Martini-Henry rifles (especially of the Zulu War) so danged expensive?

This is my first foray into firearms like this - I primarily collect rifles of the WWI period.

It just seems that there is a lot out there, but at very high prices.

This is not intended as a "bitching" post, I just would really like to know why they are so pricey. What am I missing.

Also, as you can probably tell, I would like to own one, but at these prices it will more than likely not happen. I am not planning on re-enacting (wish I could though) but would like to have one to hang on the wall. Are there places that sell Martini-Henrys that are not good for re-enacting, hunting, target practice, but would be good to hang on the wall?

Thanks for the help.

Larry
http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/
Neil Aspinshaw

Larry

"Supply and demand" in a short ditty.

If you click on the link above for IMA or Atlanta cutlery you will be able to acquire them quite reasonably in the USA as part of the 52000 mixed gun haul found in Lagan Silekhana, Nepal.

There reason for the price is age and rarity, what's the price of an original Springfield 45/70 carbine of the C1870's Indian Wars of the same era going to cost in the USA?, well the same is true of a C1876 Martini Henry in .450/577 in the UK of Zulu, Afghan or Egyptian campaigns.

In all 1,090,000 Military Martinis in .450" & .303" were made, all (well most) UK manufacture, Enfield, BSA, LSA & HRB being the main sources with a survival rate of say 5-7%, in reality that is not really a lot. Take the .303", factories all over the world of two world wars and beyond , Enfield, Sparkbrook, LSA, BSA, Ishapore, Fazekerly, lithgow & Long Branch to name but a few, I do not know the figures but it must exceed 8 Million rifles+

"If its a miracle its a boxer Henry .45 miracle"

Hi Neil -

That makes sense, especially when you supply the production numbers.

Like I said, I'm new to the era of military rifles, I had no idea so few were made. I thought it had something to do with design, or a specific type of technological advancement or something.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'd better start saving my pennies!

Larry
http://simpsonsfolly.blogspot.com/
AMB

Gentlemen,

If you can get there, there used to be a very interesting chap (who runs a very good restaurant) in Kabul who will sell you an excellent MH for about $250.

Again, if you can get there, there was also a very interesting shop near the main mosque in Herat. I suspect these particular MHs might have come from Maiwand.

2002/3 prices.

AMB
MHs
Simon Rosbottom

That would be an interesting discussion at the Kabul airport security desk.

Ah, Simon, thus you see why I do not have a MH! I did get one for the National Army Museum though. It should be avail to view on request - I think it is a NW Frontier replica, using some original parts. I also got a [locally made] replica of an 1852 cavalry carbine - also now with the NAM.
And yes, all the correct paper work was completed!

AMB
Simon Rosbottom

I've got a peach of a Mk 2 on display in my dining room. I got it from Neil. No firearms chitty otherwise it would be locked away.

AMB & Simon

Simon, you still looking after that teenie!, TLC and gun oil in equal doses!.

AMB

A note in caution with the Martini's from Afghanistan, whilst I have seen some cracking MH's out of there recently, it is far outnumbered by the locally made copies, we call 'em Khyber Copies. They are hard to spot, but look out for the clues. Noramlly they are highly polished with very little blue. It does make identification of markings difficult

1) Wrong Date. Normally post 1900 dates and VR cipher. Queen Vic died in 1901... so 1909 is just a touch late. You will find 1902 dates on VR marked pieces. ( My Long Lee Mk1* is 1902 with VR Cypher). But not in .450/577.
2) The N of Enfield is stamped wrong way round (it is a Z)
3) Dodgy receiver lettering in a wobbly line. The locals stamped them with single letter stamps so it is always in the P**s.
4) Crown Cipher, Kings crown over VR.
5) No markings to stock, roundel or regimental

Buyer beware!
Neil

Neil,

Rest assured, I was fully aware of the locally-made wpns! Indeed, as I mentioned before, that one that I brought back to the NAM was not an original. However, there are [or were 2002/3] plenty of original wpns, especially in Herat. Former 66th Regt?

Also a few inf swords knicking about. Cav swords were avail by the bucket full (all ex-British Indian Army).

One's only problem is getting to Afghanistan and out again...

AMB

Last edited by AMB on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
AMB

Further to my last, Peter at the Gandamack Lodge in Kabul is the chap to talk to:

http://www.gandamacklodge.co.uk/index.htm

AMB
Northbriton

Highly improbable that any of the bring backs are from the 66th foot, The British off loaded vast amounts of obsolete weaponry in India/NWF to the Indian army. My contacts in the Military (Both US & UK) have shown me pics of pallets of MH Carbines & Rifles, all verified genuine and in varying condition, I alone, and only one of many, have imported approx 50 rifles & 30 carbines, most of the rifles have Fort William 1885 cartouches and other signs of Indian army refurbishment (The IMA/AC Martinis have Indian arsenal 1894 & 1908 cartouches from these same arsenals).
Some very nice well priced pieces from this source, but you have more chance of finding a rifle from Islandwana than from the 66th foot at Maiwand - there again in our collections we just may have one, you never know, pity they cant talk ........

Forgot to add - There are also a lot of genuine commerical 1890,s Martini rifles & carbines in 577/450 from this source, which in all probablity is due to the NWF being the most active (still true today)arms market in the region
Maiwand Martinis in Brighton?
Simon Rosbottom

I heard this article referred to on Radio 4 this morning :

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/soldiers-in-helmand-unearth-British-rifles-lost-in-1880-massacre-842497.html

Anyone in Brighton take a look and see if they are they are authentic.