rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Commissioning A Colour Plate Of Col. Durnford's Uniform ?
Coll

Referring to the excellent colour plate of Col. D. in Ian Knight's book 'Zulu : Isandlwana & Rorke's Drift', I was wondering, seeing-as-to-how the artist has already done this study of him and this uniform, if it would be possible to commission the same artist to create a similar, but front-facing colour plate of the same individual and uniform as a frameable painting/print of a reasonable size.

Think of Travis's illustration in the modern Alamo film, when he is describing the uniform he wants made to order, but then multiply the image several times.

I'm asking only out of curiosity, as I imagine it would be expensive, but perhaps not an impossible project to undertake.

The artist may only consider such for publications, not privately.

Any information would be great, as this would look brilliant on a wall in the same room as a poster-size portrait of Col. D., the same one as the most well-known image of him.

I apologise for being a bore again.

Coll
John Young

Coll,

You could look on http://bells.de/MikeChappell.htm there are some links to items that Mike Chappell produced for Osprey which are for sale.

Simon Smith, a very talented artist, has recently joined the forum, it might be worth your while sending him a private message?

John Y.
Coll

John

Thanks.

I didn't know there was a professional artist on the forum.

That's great ! Very Happy

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Coll,
you can see a piece of his work in the 'Market Place'.

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/cms/home/index.php?m=marketplace&I'd=23

Just by coincidence I have just completed a painting of our hero.
entitled 'Durnford Rides Out'.

while I still have an opportunity to change details, members comments on this painting are welcome!

Simon

smithart101

additional pictures....think I messed up the links

here's the detail....

Simon,

Excellent work as ever.

The cuff detail needs to changed to a simple crow's foot, rather than an Austrian knot. I'll forward you an e-mail when I'm home next with a photograph of the uniform.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

John
Coll

Fantastic !

I for one can't tell you how delighted I am to see your painting of Col. Durnford.

It is amazing.

To have him on horseback, full uniform, the camp and Mt. Isandlwana in the background, is an absolute bonus.

Others may add comments on details, but I am very pleased with how it looks.

Thankyou

Coll
andywebb

Great painting! I would buy a print if you do any? Very Happy

Simon

That's an outstanding piece of work. If I was to be historically picky I'd question the presence of Carbineers at this juncture. They were with him when he rode in, but not when he rode out. But ultimately who can say with 100% certainty that there definitely weren't a few tagging along. Regardless of any pedantry on my part they add colour and context to what is a super portrayal. The real Col D, aged 48 and quite weather worn, I think was a little less 'heroic' (in the classical greek sense) in appearance, but what the heck. I presume you'll let us know where and when we can purchase a print.

I know somebody who will be a very happy man. Wink

Regards

Mike
mike snook 2

P.S. Oh and this is I suppose pedantic too, Simon, but you did ask...the 24th formed in front of the camp in column of companies - meaning the companies in two ranks as you have them, but then the companies one behind the other, waiting to deploy, rather than in line as you show them. BUT.....and this won't help the cause particularly....the battalion was not fallen in at the time Durnford left the camp. They had fallen out at Durnford's suggestion, on his arrival, and the second alarm did not take place until Barton, Raw and Roberts made contact. To be strictly accurate they would be at their ease amongst the tents at this time, but still fully equipped to turn out at short notice.

Offered only for what it's worth, of course.

Mike
smithart101

thanks Mike and to all of you who have commented so far. I very much appreciate the feedback and the interesting information.
Thankfully my artistic licence has not expired and I may have to invoke its use in some areas!
I will take note of those who want a print and let you know when one is available

Simon

Simon

Invoke away and quite right too. It's a top notch bit of work. When you finish that one, do some more, please. I'll keep buying them as long as you keep painting them!!

As ever

Mike
Dewi Evans

Simon,

As the very proud owner of a signed print of 'The Defence of Rorke's Drift, 1879', I would also be interested in any of your prints on the subject of the Anglo-Zulu War.
The Durnford painting is absolutly fantastic.

Kind regards,

Dewi.
Commissioning A Colour Plate Of Col. Durnford's Uniform ?