rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
My kit
Mikey29211

I thought i would post some photos of my 24th kit.
Thats not me in the photos, it's "R Kitchener" from this site posing for me.

Alan
Site Admin

Mike,
Very smart.

What must the neighbours think?

Jeez, where'd you get this chap? He looks like he's old enough to be an actual veteran of the 1st Boer War!

And it looks as if his ammo pouches are too close togther!
Farb.
R. Kitchener

Also, his chevrons are too low, there's a bit of rust on the receiver, his finger's on the trigger, his expense pouch is empty, the sling isn't tight enough, his boots want shining with something other than a chocolate bar, he's not wearing his chinstrap on his chin, and the bloke's wearing a shako plate on his helmet! How on earth did this man get to be a Colour Sergeant? He's out of uniform!
Plus, he doesn't look a THING like Nigel Greene!

The background buildings DO look like the Mission Station at Rooney's Drift, LaLaland, however. Twisted Evil
John Young

Please tell me you're not wearing crossed flags over those chervons, are you? Not on a five button serge, please! This that why the chervons are too low? Or are you an acting-up as an almost Q.M.S.?

I take it you've purloined up some poor soldier's rifle, as well, which is why there's no sword bayonet?

John Y. Laughing Laughing
Mikey29211

John Young wrote:
Please tell me you're not wearing crossed flags over those chervons, are you? Not on a five button serge, please! This that why the chervons are too low? Or are you an acting-up as an almost Q.M.S.?

I take it you've purloined up some poor soldier's rifle, as well, which is why there's no sword bayonet?

John Y. Laughing Laughing

John, are you saying the a colour sergeant did not wear his insignia while wearing the frock? How did he display his rank?
The reason the chevrons are so low is that the sleve is too short. Very Happy
The sword bayonet is out of my price range for the moment. Laughing
John Young

Mikey,

On the five-button serge the rank insignia was simplified to a crown over three chevrons. The crossed Union Flags was above the chevrons was only worn in Full Dress.

For contemporary photographs showing this see the following:
The reformed 'G' Company, 2nd/24th at Pinetown after the campaign; Colour-Sergeant 430 A. Ross, next to Captain F. Glennie.

The famous 'B' Company, 2nd/24th, also more than likely also at Pinetown, after the campaign; Colour-Sergeant 2459 F. E. Bourne D.C.M.

The 'alleged' burial detail from 2nd/24th, with the Zulu with spear tucked under his armpit, there's a Colour-Sergeant fourth from the left. There is a Sergeant Instructor of Musketry in that same group; his insignia of rank is clearly shown crossed rifles over three chevrons, surmounted by a crown.

I hope that's of some help?

John Y.
R. Kitchener

John Young wrote:
Mikey,

On the five-button serge the rank insignia was simplified to a crown over three chevrons. The crossed Union Flags was above the chevrons was only worn in Full Dress.

For contemporary photographs showing this see the following:
The reformed 'G' Company, 2nd/24th at Pinetown after the campaign; Colour-Sergeant 430 A. Ross, next to Captain F. Glennie.

The famous 'B' Company, 2nd/24th, also more than likely also at Pinetown, after the campaign; Colour-Sergeant 2459 F. E. Bourne D.C.M.

The 'alleged' burial detail from 2nd/24th, with the Zulu with spear tucked under his armpit, there's a Colour-Sergeant fourth from the left. There is a Sergeant Instructor of Musketry in that same group; his insignia of rank is clearly shown crossed rifles over three chevrons, surmounted by a crown.

I hope that's of some help?

John Y.

Hello John, I learn something new every day,I have a full dress tunic in the works, thanks for the info Embarassed
Can you provide links to the photo's you mentioned?

Regards

Mikey
John Young

Mikey,

I can only find one of the photographs on-line see Frank Bourne, without crossed flags on http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/defenders/survivors.htm

I'll see if I have Ross photograph on file, I'm without a scanner or camera at present otherwise I copy it for you.

The burial party photograph has appeared in The Washing of the Spears and Nothing Remains But To Fight, the latter, by Ian Knight, also has the other two photographs.

The following is from the 1866 Equipment of the Infantry by Captain Martin Petrie:- Colour-serjeants, - ...On serge frocks and shell jackets three bars of single gold lace surmounted by a gold crown are worn.

I have photographs of other regiments in my collection, I try and borrow a camera and send them to you.

John Y.
My kit