rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Sword
Carl Daeche

I have just returned from my trip to KZN and Fugitives Drift. - Simply WOW

In my journeys I came across an item that I have not seen or heard about in over 25 years as a collector and enthusiast.

I received credible provenance that this item was found in the rafters of a zulu kraal recently demolished to make way for a new road from Pietermariztburg towards UhLundi. I am in the process of finding a more exact location. The item shows the signs of age and smoke that put the item in the period of 1879. With it in the same kraal was found a British cavalry sword from the AZW with similar smoke patina and age.

The blade of the Zulu sword is similar to that of a British sword and most certainly is of Zulu manufacture. The tang is set into a wooden hilt with a crude iron hand guard secured with an iron pommel. I have the item safely in the Uk and I am in the process of securing the cavalry sword also.

I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this item and all research to date has not resulted in any mention other than a brief note of an office travelling zuluand after the war and commenting on a spear similar to a claymore. Did the Zulu copy their foes weaponry?

What do we all think?

(Photos to follow)
Zulu sword - To clarify
Carl Daeche

Just to explain more. The blade is of a similar length to that of a British sword but is constructed like a long thin assegai, imagine a stretched throwing spear.
Sawubona

Carl,
Glad you enjoyed yourself in KZN! Among the videos on The Anglo Zulu War Research Society's site is a "Demonstration of Zulu Sword technique".
Although credit isn't given, the short introduction in English sounds like David Rattray, followed by narration in Zulu. The description mentions the sword "as used by the Zulu leaders at Isandlwana". Most interesting and I'll wager the sword used is a ringer for your latest acquisition. If your not already a member, the one time fee of ten pounds to join might be worthwhile to see it and all of the other video clips. Regards
Zulu Swords - Update
Carl Daeche

Hi Everyone,

I have now received the collection of ZULU swords from KZN. A total of three zulu swords and a British Cavalry sword were found in the rafters of a hut within an old kraal (dating pre-1870's) which was recently raised to the ground to make way for a new road from Dundee to Uhlundi.

I am in the process of locating the kraal precisely. To see three swords was amazing, until now I had no idea of their existance or use in the zulu war (thanks sawubona - the clip and Rattrays voice over brings credence).

The finder states that all four were from the roof of the hut. A nice romantic thought is that the British sword taken at an early engagement was used as a prototype for the local blacksmith to recreate zulu versions of the sword.

The British sword I believe is the 1822 light cavalry officers - but would appreciate worldly advice. The leather work on the grip is a zulu replacement (stripped for construction copying maybe) as it wraps around the back plate. The pommel is checked not stepped and the age hides all marks other than the recessed proofing. It has a straight blade of 35 1/2 inches.

All three zulu swords have a solid iron guard and very crude riveting to hilt with a wooden grip. One sword matches the British for length. One is slightly curved at the point and short the other is short with an offset guard.

All three swords show signs of age and storage in a smokey roof void.

I would appreciate comments and any references recorded of the use of zulu swords?

How rare are these pieces?

Carl

Images www.tiger-life.com/page14.htm
[/img]
Zulu Sword