rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
'Zulu Pen' Found
AMB

From the BBC:

Man held after 'Zulu pen' found.

A pen used by Zulu chiefs to sign an historic peace treaty with the British has been recovered in Cambridgeshire.
Police found the pen, which went missing from Cambridge University Library between 2002 and 2004, at an address in Comberton.

The Ulundi Treaty of 1879 was signed after British forces defeated the Zulu army and captured their king.

Police arrested a 22-year-old man from Cambridge in connection with an allegation of theft.

Det Con Henry Wiley, of Cambridgeshire Police, said: "The pen is extremely important to the university and we are very pleased to be able to reunite it with its rightful owner."

AMB
Coll

AMB

I didn't know there was such a thing in existence, I'm not sure why not.

Is it what you might call a standard pen of the time, or is there something recognisably different about it, appearance-wise ?

I ask out of curiosity.

Thanks

Coll
libary
clive dickens

Well they are always being nicked at our local libary and they are tied down so there is little wonder that someone would take a fancy to this one
Clive Laughing
Pen
William Seymour

When I first read this post I thought of Peter Ewart and last year's cricketing "find". Wink However, I feel I should add some gravitas to this theme by making you aware of the following sentence. My "Nom de plume" wrote home to his Mum and Dad on the 15/01/1879 the following: ' the Pen I have is one I carry in my pocket a Nib tied to a piece of wood'. Without which etc...
JK
Dawn

I presume we're not talking about a "bic" pen then? I don't think the biro was invented until after the turn of the century.

We still had desks with the ink well in them when I went to school...which seriously was not all that long ago. Confused

Dawn
Phil Read

There's an article in today's Daily Mail on the court case of the man accused of stealing the Zulu writing implement. It can be viewed online at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=506654&in_page_id=1770 then click on the still from 'Zulu' to view.

Phil
'Zulu Pen' Found